Monday, October 24, 2011

We welcome you... IF you change your mind.

Saturday, April 23, 2011


I just had a nice little visit from two gentleman knocking on my door. They were Jehovah Witnesses welcoming me to their church.


"Me?" I asked a bit surprised, "..are you open and affirming?"


"Sure!" they answered. Upon further discussion it was apparent they had no idea what that meant. You should've seen their eyes widen when I told them that I was born with a male body. They still maintained I was welcome to come and be "changed." No thanks I answered politely, I've done enough changing for now!


I've never been a big fan of someone coming to my home uninvited and unannounced to speak to me about something as personal as my faith. It just seems presumptions and discourteous to me. In the past I used to get angry and rude about it and I feel bad and somewhat ashamed about acting that way. These days, I am much more kind and polite. I used this opportunity to share with them some of my story (the Reader's Digest version of course). I told them how I have had several people approach me, hug me, and share with me their own stories of self-reflection and how my situation, which bothered them at first, ultimately inspired them to look inward to examine some tough questions about themselves.


I invited these gentlemen to open thier own hearts and minds towards accepting all of God's children as he created them--and not just when it is easy. They both smiled and nodded nervously, "Yeah, but...." as they returned to their canned presentation. It was obviouse that they did not come to my doorstep to have real dialouge, to which I was not surprised at all. It's what I expected, but I only hope that I gave them just a little something to consider.


No comments:

Post a Comment